Tuesday 14 April 2009

Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot In Low Res.

If you're a fellow blogger, SL photography enthusiast, or you just like clicking buttons and having pictures of your avatar, this may be a familiar, fateful fable. Maybe it happened like this...

*cue Scooby Doo doodle-ooh doodle-ooh doodle-ooh sounds and the wavy yet groovy screen*

You found the outfit. You matched the clothes, the hair...and of course, the shooz. Don't forget the accessories. You have your smexy self and/or photogenic friend poised and posed with you. The camera's ready. You take your shots. Hell, if it was anything like you see on TV, you'd be bustin a move irl with an expensive camera and looking ridiculously cool while doing it. You check your pictures on the hard drive. They're made of awesome. That's a wrap.

And then...

*cue more Scooby Doo music*

You take a break. Maybe grab a beer, an Evian, a diet soda. Snag a munchie. You come back to your 'puter and you click open Photoshop. You're in the zone. You're ready to rock with your awesome pictures. You open the first one, and...

*cue the movie "Psycho" and the REE REE REE! music!*

IT'S PIXEL MAYHEM! Pixels are hither and thither, and your masterpieces are reduced to original Nintendo Mario Bros. quality. You realize, all of the sudden...

You forgot to click "Ultra" in your Graphics Preferences before you took your pics.

*headdesks*

And then, if you're really like me, you convince yourself that it would be madness to simply retake the shots. Oh no. You're going to be the next "Photoshop Picasso" and "fight the man" and "fix" these pictures, dammit! You get back in the zone. You smooth every little pixely edge and liquify the Hades out of almost every body part. You lean back with triumph when you hit save and upload to Flickr. Then...you look at the clock. And you realize you could have retaken about 20 beautiful, "Ultra" graphics enabled shots in the amount of time it took you to fix just this one and it would have looked 10 times better than what you were able to produce.

Now, you may be wondering by now...Adaire, why the heck are you going on and on about this? You probably wasted even more time crying about your original Nintendo-quality shots instead of just retaking them.

Yep. I sure have.

But here you have it anyway, and no extra charge for the pixel tragedy when I say that Sn@tch has got an awesome freebie out this week. It's called "Backstage," and the pants in particular are to die for. It's among the regular vendors in the brand new Sn@tch City shop. Be sure to grab it soon, as I think it's going to poof around Thursday-ish.

Annnnd...if you dig the fortune teller thing, you can score this outfit on the free too, called "Half Dressed." The skirt is color and texture-change with a click, making it uber versatile.

Ooh! And there is a "Condom Quest" event in the Sn@tch sims that starts this Friday, April 17th and goes through the weekend. It's apparently in honor of "STD Awareness Month," so I'm sure all kinds of "love" will be spreading. Stay tuned for details. (But not gory details. I'm a mostly decent person. Mostly.)


And...while not free, all the hairstyles you saw above are a part of the Philotic Energy sale going on now. All styles ('cept for the latest release) are between 25%-50% off, like the "Teagan" I'm wearing in the first pic and the gloriously sapphire "Dakota" in the second one. (Gecko has on Kannon and Kam, also on sale!) If you wanted to score some seriously amazing hair on the cheap, head on over before the sale is over!

And...if you put Philotic Energy in your profile pics, you can get "Shelly" in Mochachino for free!

So remember kids...friends don't let friends take photos in SL in low res. Or, they'll end up like me, hunched over a keyboard, nose an inch from the screen, yelling at Photoshop like it is a sentient being and it is somehow completely responsible for all of your life's troubles.

Style Notes of the Free and Not-So-Free:
Picture 1 ~
April Skin (Freckles): Atomic Kitty (Group Gift - $250 to join, beautifully blogged by the Creamster here)
Teagan Hair (Charcoal): Philotic Energy (25% off!)
Starlight Tattoo: Sn@tch ($200L)
Smash Kicks Shooz (Black Canvas w/Scripted Texture Change Laces): Sn@tch ($250L)

Picture 2 ~
Daktota Hair (Sapphire): Philotic Energy (25% off!)
Misfit Platform Boots (Black): Sn@tch ($275L)
Modeling 15 Couples Pose: SEmotion ($210L)

Picture 3 ~
Shelly Hair (Mochachino): Philotic Energy (Picks Reward)
Butterfly Attack Tee: Kunstkammer (Albero Hunt Freebie)
Nana Choker: Ultra Kitty (Bunny Hop Hunt Freebie #76)
Rust Bracelet: Kosh (Bunny Hop Freebie #281)
Street Meat Jeans (Black): Sn@tch ($250L for 6 color fatpack)

9 comments:

Gecko Gorilla said...

*chuckles uncontrollably*
If I had a dime for all the times I have shot low res pics after a update I could buy.. well mebbe a pack of gum. My point is.. I hate that! A lil trick for those reading.. use the keystroke ctrl+` and you will never phail at high rez shots. :) Amazing post baby.. yer shots look great

Gabi Fitzgerald said...

Hmm interesting... I never change my graphic quality, it's always 'mid' lol I'll try that. Thanks for the tip! :)

Chance Greatrex said...

you must be and amazing Photoshop artist, cause those pictures look perfectly fine to me!I was expecting 4 big squares lol.

Adaire DeCuir said...

Lolz, Chance...you are too kind. I was worried it would look like I was making a fuss over nothing, but I assure you...they wouldn't hold up against any sort of scrutiny. There is not one bone of photoshop talent in my body, but I do what I can.

Thanks for the comment lurve. That's what I miss most about bloggin. <3

Sue Rozen said...

Oh Adaire, I love, love, LOVE the pose in the second pic. Where's that from?

Ashia Tomsen said...

oh to be a fly on the wall when GG was on his knees :P That shit I would totes pay to see :P Plus also hack your skype to listen in XD Fucking awesome post Adi, how I miss thee <3

Sasy Scarborough said...

so what Gecko said, and Ashia knows this too, I don't have any idea what ultra would have to do with it at all.

Ctrl Tilde as in the wavy line above the ` you know this thing ~ is how you get high res, having it checked in advanced and then using snapshot is not high res, but different strokes for different folks, it's what you are confy with I guess for most people.

xoxSasyxox

Adaire DeCuir said...

I had NO idea about this glorious shortcut key! Where have I been?! I'm glad I pounded out my frustration in the post to learn it!

Ash, I totes love you. Srsly. You rock. I will show you more lurvin in IMs, lolz. Dun dun dunnnn!

@Sue - I'll check into it for you and drop you an im in-world!

Ecaria Regenbogen said...

You cannot leave that second pose out of the post. It is too amazing, I'd die for that one.

That shots look good though, better then what I would be able to produce.