Thursday 7 April 2016

Tutorial Thursdays - Photoshop: Making it Rain

For today's Tutorial Thursday I am going to be showing you a semi quick way to make any shot in sl look like it is raining. This is a Tutorial for Photoshop, so you require that system in order to do this technique.

.
.
This tutorial will continue after the break, for the sake of the feeds that Free*Style is published on.
.
If you are still interested, please click on through.
.
.
Step 1
.
Create your scene, or go somewhere, and take a picture of whatever you want your focus to be.
.
.
Here is the shot I will be using continuing forward.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
Step 2
 .
Open your picture up in Photoshop. Make sure you have your Layers Side Window activated, and copy your photo(Right Click on the word Background and select Duplicate). This is something I do with all projects, so if something screws up, I didn't manage to bugger up the original layer. You can skip this step if you are super confident in your photoshop skills. For me, even after 9 years, I still manage to do things now and again, so I just make a copy of the original photo.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
Step 3
 .
 Make a totally Black Layer. So hit the Create New Layer Icon at the bottom of your Layers Side Window.


Then select Black for your colour in your Tools Window. Then go to the Gradient Icon, right click it, and then select the Paint Bucket Tool.
.
  Then click on your empty layer, and fill with the Paint Bucket.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
Step 4
 .
 With your new Black Layer as the main selection, you are going to want to go to the top Dropdown Menus, select Filter, go down to Noise, and select Add Noise.
.
.
Set your settings like this and click Okay.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
Step 4
 .
You are going to go back up to the Top Dropdown Menus, to Filter again, then down to Blur, and select Motion Blur. Play with the angle a bit, this is how your rain will end up falling on your shot. Do the same with the Distance, until you have something that resembles rain. Fun Fact: This is actually very similar to how I make my hair textures for my store, haha.
.

.
These are the settings I used. Once you have where you want it set, click Okay.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
Step 5
 .
Set your newly made Rain Layer to Screen.
.
.
It looks sort of fugly at this point, so we need to do a wee bit more to it, to get it looking a bit more believable.
.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
Step 6
 .
You are going to go back up to the Top Dropdown Menus, to Image, click Adjustment, then down to Levels.
.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
Step 7 - Optional/Advanced
 .
Now it is just a matter of playing with a few things, to get your photo to your liking. I don't like the top and bottom bits where the Motion Blur ends up sort of different, so I sized up my Rain Layer. I just added 5% to the Height, and it gets those ugly bits right out of your shot.
.
.
I then played with the Hue/Saturation a bit, to get the rain looking more like water. Once I had a colour I liked, I just added some splashy sort of squiggles on a separate layer, and set them to Overlay. Not going to try to teach you all how to draw, but I am sure if you looked on the net hard enough, you could find some splash Photoshop Brushes that are free for personal use.
.
.
Look, it's raining!
.
Hope you enjoyed the Tutorial!